Hair and Makeup Tips for Headshots
Ladies, please arrive with your makeup and hair ready to go how you normally do it. You are welcome to have your makeup professionally done if you would like to but it’s not required. I do highly recommend professional makeup for all of my female clients and I can book one of my brilliant makeup artists for your session if you would like. I need to book makeup in advance though so let me know ASAP if you want me to book that for you.
Here are some helpful tips for a great makeup look for headshots.
- Liquid foundation always looks better than powder.
- Keep the lip color close to your natural lip color or 1 shade darker and GLOSSY - no matte lipstick.
- No visible hard-edge lip liner.
- Go easy on the blush/bronzer.
- Keep eyes looking defined but natural.
- Soft blended eyeliner.
- No hard-edge liquid eyeliner.
- Neutral color eyeshadow is usually best.
- No lines of demarcation or heavy smoked-out eyeshadow.
- No false eyelashes - unless you are use to wearing them and you know how to correctly apply them.
- Wear mascara and curl your lashes.
For hair, style it how you would normally do it on a good hair day. Hairstyles are extremely personal and you know how you like to wear it best. You want to look like YOU in your headshot and hair is big part of that. If you need a haircut, I encourage you to get one before your session but not the day before. At least 2 or 3 days prior. If you color your hair and need to touch up your roots, I encourage you to do so as well. If you have long hair, especially thick, heavy long hair, you might consider putting it up in a ponytail or bun for your headshot. Hair up usually draws even more emphasis to the face which is great for headshots. If you want to stop by your usual hair salon/stylist and have your hair blown-out or styled on your way to the session that is always a great decision.